Roland Juno 60 resto part 8: Sliders, plug mod and capacitors

Lots of little details to wrap up and then I can start enjoying this synth for what it can do -I suppose the last installment will be a song composed for and entirely played on the Juno 60.  I’m waiting on a package from Hong Kong based Technology Transplants that will be the new toggles I need along with a slider cap set and some other stuff I can’t remember.  In the mean time I’m moving slower than normal but it has given me a chance to do some little jobs like install an IEC type plug.

I love the convenience of having the same cord power all your stuff.  This was pillaged from my parts Prophet 600.  It’s a cheap part but it saved me a drive pulling it.  Thursday I’ll get my drill and Dremel from my dads house (long story) and modify the panel.

I dragged the whole thing outside for the soldering exercise.  Doesn’t everyone solder outside?  Those missing keys are, well, still missingI think I found an inexpensive source for some more. Wood end panels are looking good.

When I was working on the boards I noticed this slider wasn’t right.  Not only that but it had been desoldered and opened before.

I have a lot of sliders missing stems to use as parts.  I only ordered exactly what I thought i needed from Vintage Planet so I have to make a good one from several.

Slider guts.  That oddly shaped piece of plastic is broken away from the bottom.  This is what the insides of one of these sliders looks like.


Me being me, I decided to super glue the broken piece to the base -just to see how it holds up I suppose.  You can see there are actually two tracks in these switches.  I am guessing the current flows up one, through the wiper then back down the other.  Farther up the slider is, the longer the current has to travel.  Gotta get a good Ohm meter so I can test these.

So once I got a decent feeling slider together I set to the panel boards with a soldering iron.  All capacitors were replaced (except a few with unusual ratings), the momentary switches were remounted and the sliders replaced.  Alas but for those toggles I’d be done soldering on these boards.

Sorry about this picture -Bertoia chair is not an ideal backdrop.  I think this one actually is ready for install.

I decided to replace all the capacitors after reading Oldcrows ‘Tips for repairing vintage synthesizers’ section on capacitors.  Hopefully this thing is ready for another 30 years.

Up next: Installing toggles if they turn up or possibly cleaning up the main panel.  Maybe even some work on my recently acquired Omni.

Part 9.

Part 1 can be found here.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s