Roland Juno 60 part 3: apart it comes/goes/is

I come from a classic car background.  A project to me weighs 2000+ lbs.  While the comparison is not all that great from a tonnage view, they do require a similar approach and care to make sure it can be put back together.  This Juno 60 is pretty easy to deal with from a picking it up and moving it perspective, reasonable schematics are readily available and I have a complete, together, nearly-fully functional Juno 6 to look at if I get lost.  Even with all this reference material it makes sense to keep all the little bits separate, take lots of pictures like those below and make diagrams like the one below if you think it’s going to be confusing in a month/year when you go to put it back together.

Besides showing how gross it was inside this thing, this shows which connectors go where, zip tie placement for if you get really into putting it back to exactly how it was and other details.

The bender has a broken tip and is just flopping around below the panel.  The Bender/LFO/volume pot board was not mounted with any screws.  Smart!

All the connections that would take hours to figure out on the block diagram schematic can be traced in this picture in about 5 minutes.  Replace all the capacitors?  Will discuss whether or not to do this later.

Another connector shot -this one the voice board with all the expensive chips.  There is a wire going in to the large connector in the foreground that has had a repair.

Was very difficult to get these apart.  Connectors will have to be cleaned on the inside.  Should be fun since the goo entered from the top and worked its way in and through, thoroughly gumming the connector up.

A detail from the patch memory panel board.  Most of these connectors are very stiff, some are broken and the board itself is gross.  Will desolder and clean all these switches.  Fun.

There’s a bunch more to show but I didn’t take pictures.  The wooden chassis even came apart in the end.  Wires had to be cut between the power cord and fuse board then between the transformer and power cap board.  In the end my desk is littered with little sub assemblies needing attention.  I ordered all the parts and as while I wait for them to come in I’ll get the parts I do have cleaned up and ready for assembly.

‘All the kings horses and all the kings men…’  I’ll be alright, not too much to keep track of.

Up next: Probably restoring the power supply board and cleaning up the momentary switches.

Part 1 in this series can be found here.

Part 2 in this series can be found here.

Part 4 is here.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s